Re: [TowerTalk] Delta Loop compared to Dipole (actual experience)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Delta Loop compared to Dipole (actual experience)
From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:27:27 -0500
No -- the delta loop is an equilateral triangle loop, called "delta"
for the Greek capital letter Delta which is an equilateral triangle.
The "skywire" loop (taken from the "Loop Skywire" QST article) is a
square or rectangular horizontal loop, i.e. the plane the loop is in
is parallel to the surface of the ground below it.   When someone
mentions a delta loop they are usually talking about a 3 sided loop
that is perpendicular to ground.

 One advantage of a delta loop is that only one support, usually a
tall tree or tower, is needed.   I am on a small lot, 50 by 100 feet,
but I am on 75 meters because I have a low horizontal loop in a sort
of rectangle that's 230 feet long suspended from a tree, aluminum
pole, and a few short 30 foot steel push up masts.   A loop such as
this is the answer to 80 meter operation on a small lot where tall
guyed structures and long dipoles are not feasible.   The key is
feeding it with 600 ohm ladder line and a balanced tuner.  These two
items allow for a loop that is slightly less than one wavelength at
its lowest operating frequency.   This is obvioiusly not a dx chasing
antenna on 80 meters at least, but I'm not a dx chaser hi hi.

73

rob / k5uj