[TowerTalk] Delta Loop compared to Dipole (actual experience) (Richards)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Delta Loop compared to Dipole (actual experience) (Richards)
From: "Bill Stacy" <wstacy@wildblue.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:29:06 -0500
K8JHR asked "Could someone please identify which section of my
ARRL Antenna book covers this "Delta Loop"  - as that term does
not appear in the Index."

The ARRL Antenna Book does NOT discuss delta loops.  There is, however, a
good discussion in ON4UN's Low Band DXing book.

These are effective DX antennas when fed 1/4 wavelength from the top.  I had
one on 80 some years ago, and it worked well for me.

There are some caveats:  The layout will affect the antenna's radiation
pattern.  The delta has a limited SWR bandwidth, although a GOOD tuner will
overcome that problem.

The delta is hard to beat for DX, especially when one considers its
relatively low cost.  :-)

73, Bill, N5TU