Re: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"
From: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:58:16 -0500 (CDT)
Bill et al:

From: Bill Ogden <ogden@us.ibm.com>
Date: 2008/06/27 Fri AM 10:34:49 EDT
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Loop vs Dipole...I'm original "asker"

<snip>

I doubt that you could both shunt-feed the tower
and use it for a half-sloper antenna --- that would make some really odd
interaction.

<snip>

     Well, my installation is the exception that tests the rule.  As I wrote
earlier, I shunt-feed my Trylon tower on 160M but I hadn't mentioned that I
also have a half-sloper wire for 80M hanging off it as well. Both seem to work
in that I hear fairly well esp on 80M and can be heard when I call.  And both
antennas present a decent 50 +/- Ohm match at their resonant points.  So go
figger.

**********
A suggestion: If you are just getting started with ham radio, do not worry
about trying to cover all the 160-10 meter bands with good antennas. This
would be quite unusual for a startup installation. Define your interests.

     The flat-top antenna should provide Richards with an effective antenna on
all bands from 160M up through 10M, provided he installs an adequate RF ground
system, so why not go for it?

*************
If you intend to chase DX, then forget about 160 on a small lot.

     On the contrary - I think operating 160M on a small lot like mine is a
real challenge but it can be done.  I've worked 49 states (still looking for
KL7) and over 50 countries on 160M with either an inverted L or my present
shunt-fed tower.  Topband is an awful band for a variety of reasons - all the
more for you to enjoy what DX you DO work.

Bill
W2WO

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F