Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Tension adjustment

To: towertalk@contesting.com, n5phtgs@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Tension adjustment
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:09:57 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/2008 9:02:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  My tower info and my measurements.  I am using a LOOS  #90 guage.

Tower is 45G - 80 feet tall.  It has 2 sets of 3  guys.  They are different
lengths and if that matters I could dig up  the specs on the distances.

>  My measurements:

20  degrees set:  Upper:  280 lbs   Lower: 340 lbs
140  degree set:  Upper:  400 lbs  Lower: 480 lbs
260 degree  set:  Upper:  300 lbs  Lower: 340 lbs

>  The 260  degree set is the longest of the 3 sets of guys
and the 150 degree set is  the shortest with the 20 degree
set in between the other two (in terms of  lengths).

>  All of my guys are the same:  the first 15  feet or so
is 1/4 inch EHS and the rest is Phillystrand.  Does  that
alter the suggested tension?

    No. The tension is the same regardless of what's  inline with the
guywire.

    You didn't say how long the guys were but  indicated that they were
different lengths. This will have some influence on  the tension but that's a
math
exercise I'm not qualified to comment on. (There  was an article in CQ some
years ago that addressed this problem.)

    All of the guys should be tensioned the same;  that is, 600# for 1/4"
EHS. (And the HPTG6000.)

    I haven't tested the Loos Model 90 for accuracy  but the other versions
are quite accurate so I imagine it's pretty good too.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH

fuel-efficient used cars.