Re: [TowerTalk] RG-8X vs RG-8 - LMR-400 ect

To: AD5VJ Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RG-8X vs RG-8 - LMR-400 ect
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 21:28:46 -0400
AD5VJ Bob wrote:
> Has anyone compared in real life RG-8x to the larger diameter coaxes for use
> on HF only.
>
> I know it cant compare above 30 mhz.
>
> I am thinking about a 100' run frm the shack to the antenna using RG8x

I'm running an honest KW through about 75' of LMR 240, RG8X, and one run
of LMR 400 to half wave, center fed slopers on 40. I've had very good
luck on AU, NZ, and most of Europe.  Some with signal variations I'd
never be able to tell which coax was connected.

I've not tried either with the legal limit, or higher SWR near the band
edges.  I use LMR 400 to slopers on 75 and a half sloper on 160 where
the calculated voltage would far exceed the ratings of the smaller cables.
>    73 fer nw es gud DX,
> QSL VIA: LotW, BUR, e-QSL
> Bob AD5VJ
> http://www.ad5vj.com/
> Old Calls WB5ZQU, WY5L/KH3, KE5CTY, N5IET
>
> Luke 14:28-30
>
>  28"Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Will he not first sit down and
> estimate the cost to see if he has enough money to
> complete it?
I didn't.  I figured what I couldn't afford I'd make.

>  29For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who
> sees it will ridicule him, 30saying, 'This
> fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'

With time and practice you learn how to hide those mistakes. <:-))

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)