Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex WT-51 Electric Winch with Pulldown Mechanismand R

To: "Tom Anderson" <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>, "Bill Kerns" <bill@billkerns.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex WT-51 Electric Winch with Pulldown Mechanismand RMC-1000
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:15:39 -0700
I have 2 crankup UST towers. The tall one has a winch with power pull down.
The pull down cable connects to the bottom of the top section thru a small
assembly with a compression spring with a bolt thru the center which can be
adjusted for tension on the cable at all times. The pull down cable is
spooled on the same drum, which holds the lift cable, in the reverse
direction. The drum has a level wind assembly like a fishing reel.
  My other tower is a TX472 without a winch. I use a floor pulley and raise
and lower it with my tractor pulling horizontally. I have used a pickup
truck for the same job. The multi path pulley system results in minimal
force required on the cable. When the tower is at the proper height I slip a
piece of channel iron thru the tower at the bottom of the second section and
slack off on the lift cable. I have been doing it that way for 15 years with
no problems. The tower holds a 4el 20/2el 40  F12 beam and a 5 el 6m yagi
above that. Early on I found that the tower can stick when lowering,
particularly if there is a horizontal wind force on it. I attached a cable
to the bottom of the top section, which dangles, and if it sticks, a pull on
that cable frees it up to lower.
  I think it is foolhardy to raise or lower a crankup when you are not
watching it and in control of the operation. I have had a coax snag and pull
in two even when I am watching but not as observant as I should be.
  73, Dan, N5AR