[TowerTalk] Tower takedown

To: "T talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower takedown
From: "Dan Hearn" <dhearn@air-pipe.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:05:51 -0700
I think your intuition is right Gary. If you think of the tower weight of
400 # being concentrated at the 1/2 height level of 10 ft, there is a
leverage situation working against your truck tailgate of roughly 3 to 4
times the weight. Think of the 10 ft height as one lever and the height of
your truck tail gate as a second lever. Same principle as the old nut
crackers. This assumes the base is pivoted  and I assume there is no
tiltover mechanism on the tower. Too bad. I wonder how you are going to haul
it. Rented trailer? I believe that  I have seen car wreckers that have a
sort of short tower like thing on the rear. Maybe he could get off to the
side and connect at 6-8 feet up and lower it.
  My son is a painter and he rents a device called a Genie TZ34 which is a
man lift with a basket and strong platform that extends to a bit over 34 ft.
It is trailer mounted and rents for $180 per day. It is quite sturdy and I
believe it could handle 400# easily when chained to the back side of the
tower. It has extension legs and you can tilt it out some distance from the
base. Be careful OM.
73, Dan, N5AR