Re: [TowerTalk] Long cable pull

To: KI9A@aol.com, RadioIR@charter.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long cable pull
From: "Marlon K. Schafer" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:48:56 -0700
I'm an ex linesman.  We used to do runs of 3 conductor lead sheathed 500mcm
(about 1 inch) cables.  Distances were usually 500 to 750 feet.

My thoughts on this.....

Run TWO conduits.  You say that you'll not put anything else in there, but
we all know how that really goes :-).

I'd do it all in one run.  No water or critters that way.  It's also almost
impossible to get your pull string in when there's a break in the middle.
Especially if you decide to try to put something else in that pipe later.
(I just ran into a situation like that out here.  Never did get the
additional wire into the conduit.  Had to run an additional signal over the
existing wires.)

As for getting the string in.  I like to put it in while I build the
conduit.  Just use a wire that's about 1' longer than the conduit and slip
it into each length as it's added.  It's a little bit of a pain but not bad.
Especially if you assemble the conduit above ground then drop the assembly
into the ditch once you're done gluing it together.  If that's not an
option, just use your rag trick but suck the rag through rather than trying
to blow it.  Then you won't have to fight with the string.  Or, as others
have said, go rent a mouse and suck it through (a chunk of the right size
foam would work nicely too).

Use lots of wire lube (available at any electrical supply store).

Use help.

Use REALLY wide radius bends (sweeps instead of elbows).  A hot box (or good
two burner hot plate) will heat up the conduit enough that you'd be able to
put your own bends in too.  I've done this a number of times.  Keep a very
wet towel around so that when you get the bend you want you can wipe down
the pipe and make it stay where you put it.

I can't see you having any real trouble with this.

marlon