Re: [TowerTalk] Using a drill to install (Lay over - Raise) US Tower HDX

To: Al Williams <alwilliams@olywa.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Using a drill to install (Lay over - Raise) US Tower HDX?
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 11:38:47 -0700 (PDT)
Al:

I originally had a (2 actually)Fulton K-1550 winch on
my TriEx W51 crank up tower for raising and lowering
the tower's top 2 sections only.  I replaced them with
a Fulton K-2550, because of the horrendous squeal from
the K-1550s disc pads, etc. (which had been replaced
when the first set completely deteriorated in the wx
outside.  I tried just replacing the pads, but could
never get the K-1550 even apart no matter how much
force, etc. I applied, so I got a second 1550 and the
problem was still there, although the pads have lasted
much longer.

The squeal was so loud my neighbors would come outside
and see who/what was screaming in the neighborhood.
I'm surprised someone didn't call the police.

Finally gave up and replaced it.

Apparently TriEx formerly used a mechanical locking
winch with the W51.  A friend of mine who has a W51 a
few years older than mine has a "mechanical" winch
that is geared and he says that's what came with it
from TriEx.  No pads, no squeal.  Its all gears.
73 de
Tom, WW5L