Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tailtwister Rotor wires
From: "Gedas" <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 10:26:03 -0400
Art, about a year ago I was faced with exactly the same issue.  It came
about when I had to extend my cable by about 100' and the new cable had
different colors available.

After some frustration, I sat back, took a deep breath and made some very
careful resistance measurements at the end of the cable on the ground.
Using a DVM, and it's ability to measure 1/10ths of an ohm, I was able to
generate a table of values from each of the wires to the others.  Then, by
looking at that data I was able to slowly piece together what the various
connections were.  What helped was I knew the large diameter wires were
numbers 1 & 2.

But, in the very, very end, it came down to not knowing the exact identity
of (I think it was) 2 wires.  Luckily the unknown wires were not going to
damage the unit if I had the wrong order.  I knew I had at most several
possibilities to try out.  In my case, I got lucky and my first guess worked
like a charm and I was up and running.  So, to answer your question, yes,
you can take very careful measurements and by studying the schematic you
will be able to find your way back home.  The entire process took me about 2
hours worth of pondering and reasoning.

73
Gedas, W8BYA
http://gedas.cc