Re: [TowerTalk] remote antenna switches?

To: AD5VJ Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] remote antenna switches?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 01:19:50 -0400
AD5VJ Bob wrote:
> Any ideas on a remote antenna switches?
>
> Which ones to stay away from vs which ones to shop for.

I've used several Ameritron RCS8 remote switches and have no
complaints.  I just rebuilt one due to our "clean air".  Make sure to
cap any unused connections all the way down past the threads. OTOH it
could have been all those lightning strikes that removed the plating.
They are nickel plated rather than silver, but I'd think that would
stand up better.  I replaced all the connectors with new, silver plated
ones when it came time for an overhaul.  They are relatively simple and
well laid out inside and easy to work on.  Repair parts are pretty much
standard not terribly expensive. OTOH good, silver plated chassis
connectors are going to run about $10 each (give or take a bit)

BTW I did modify the inside to ground the unselected connectors.  All
are grounded when the control is turned off (simple solder job).  I
chose the switches that use the wired control.

73

>    73 fer nw es gud DX,
> QSL VIA: LotW, BUR, e-QSL
> Bob AD5VJ
> http://www.ad5vj.com/
> Old Calls WB5ZQU, WY5L/KH3, KE5CTY, N5IET

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)