Re: [TowerTalk] Broadband Sloper

To: W5CPT <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broadband Sloper
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:50:37 -0400
My understanding is that those slopers (kinda like the AlphaDelta
DX-A and DX-B sloper antennas) need to be hung off a high tower,
where the tower and, maybe, a yagi beam comprises a capacity hat,
and work even better with a few radials and a good ground.   Otherwise,
it is just an odd sort of inverted V dipole and if it is trapped, you
are better
off with a broadband doublet fed with window or ladder line.

Just MY take.   (My AlphaDelta DX-B sloper sucks without a tower, yagi
capacity hat, and good ground system.)     A service tech at TenTec
company agrees as he had one and says they suck if not properly
installed as described above.   ARRL Antenna Handbook has a nice
short write up on them that covers the essentials well.

W5CPT wrote:
> In the ARRL Antenna Book, 17th edition, the antenna you are interested
is explained on pages 4-16 to 4-18.  It is called the K0EOU Broadband
Sloper.