[TowerTalk] TH-7 element insulators (plastics)

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] TH-7 element insulators (plastics)
From: Bob Alexander <realex@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:24:35 -0500
Howdy,
I finally got my TH7 off the tower for repairs following storm damage
last spring.  The obvious damage has been taken care of and now I'm
looking at the insulators.
The antenna has been up for just over 11 years in North Texas where we
have 100+ days in summer and nights in the 20s with occasional ice and
snow in winter.

All of the insulators (plastics) appear to be in good condition... they
still have that slightly shiny "new" look.  No obvious cracks or chips
.  Trap end caps appear as new.
VSWR curves recorded last spring before the storm damage were virtually
the same  as those recorded 11 years ago.

Is there any evidence of sudden failure or these insulators after X
number of years?  I realize climate is a major factor.

I know replacing all the plastics is the best choice but I want to
avoid, if at all possible, the additional problems that presents at my QTH.

Thanks
73, Bob, W5AH