Re: [TowerTalk] Digging the Hole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging the Hole
From: "Doug Rehman" <doug@k4ac.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:33:38 -0400
> - even 5 or 6' would make it a lot easier - you could even  dig it by
> hand or just
> about ANY little excavator at that point. It'll take a  little bit more
> concrete but it'll be infinitely easier and safer to install.

I've got an LM-354HDSP which has the same base/base requirements as the
LM-374. I talked with Karl about the hole requirement since a high water
table at my QTH makes the spec'ed base difficult. (At 4'. The hole starts to
fill with ground water and the sides slough in.)

Karl said that the most important thing was the quantity of concrete- a
shallower hole that is wider will work fine. The hole was spec'ed based on
commonly available augers in his area.

I ended up with a 6x6x4.5 hole- substantially more than required...

Doug
K4AC