Re: [TowerTalk] Dimensions of a tower concrete base

To: "'Bert Almemo'" <balmemo@sympatico.ca>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dimensions of a tower concrete base
From: "Hank Lonberg" <kr7x1@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 21:14:37 -0700
Bert:

The best answer to your generalized questions is; it depends.

Depends if the foundation is supporting only vertical load as
in a guyed structure.
Depends if the foundation is to support a cantilevered or free
standing structure with both lateral force, vertical force and
the moment inherent in this type of structure.
Depends if the designer is trying to utilize a spread footing
type of foundation.
Depends if the designer is trying to utilize a post type of
foundation.
Depends heavily on the soil's characteristics and strength
that you are trying to utilize.

So you see, your question does not have a closed form of
solution, but depends on what you are trying to accomplish and
what type of loading the structure you are trying to support
will impart to the foundation.

A case can be made for either the shallow spread footing type
of foundation or the smaller footprint deeper foundation. The
trick is to size them adequately for the loading condition
versus the soil conditions expected.

Gut level, the amount of concrete for either design is most
likely similar.

Regards
Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.
H.S. Lonberg, P.E.,S.E.