Re: [TowerTalk] Dimensions of a tower concrete base

To: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>, towertalk@contesting.com, Bert Almemo <balmemo@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dimensions of a tower concrete base
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:12:37 -0700 (PDT)
Bert:

What I did on my crank up 50 ft W51 TriEx 50 ft tower
was expand the base by 1 foot in each direction.  I
always figure a little more concrete won't hurt and
give it a little more support.  Also what I did was to
hire a professional tower installer (well worth the
money since he took care of everything) who used
what's called "six sack mix" supposedly the same
consistency concrete used in interstate highway
bridges.

Since my area is permeated by small underground
springs he dug the hole, set the forms and base and
had the concrete in before the springs could leak much
water in the hole (this was in 1993).  Earlier I had a
friend of mine who owed me a favor and who owned a
backhoe dig the base 5x5x6 and by the next morning it
was filled up with water. We pumped that out and
filled it in and moved over a few feet. Then I called
on professional help.

My concrete base looks just as good today, some 15
years later, as the day we poured it.  The tower and
base have survived several 50-60+ mph gusts during
thunder and lightnihg storms when there was no way I
was going out in that WX and crank it down. I
originally had a Mosley Classic 33 WARC with the 40m
kit and an Isopole 2m antenna on top.  I've since
changed to a Tennadyhne T10 log periodic and a
Cushcraft AR270B (the longer one) 2m/440 antenna that
sits at about 65 ft.

73 de Tom, WW5L

=== message truncated ===