Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Choice

To: mathenyr@marietta.edu
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Choice
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 11:16:55 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/2008 10:46:21 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mathenyr@marietta.edu writes:

>  NO disrespect intended, but I frankly don't put a lot of  stock in one set
of antenna "measurement" over another set.  Indeed  one might be able to
make comparisions between several antennas and find a  dud that is 10 db
below the rest, but to resolve 2-3 db over a dipole with  accuracy just
won't happen to my satisfaction.  There are too many  things that can
change and and go wrong in the worst  way.

Obviously you haven't read  our antenna comparison reports. Our protocol is a
pretty reasonable  solution to standardize on-the-air antenna measurements by
comparing the  antennas under test to a dipole and was arrived at after
discussions with very  knowledgeable antenna gurus (e.g. W4RNL, W8JI, etc.).

        We undertook all of the  work for our tests because there was no
standardization and published  manufacturer performance figures couldn't be
trusted.

        While not perfect, they are  the only antenna comparison tests (yagis
and verticals) that offer credible data  and analysis.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and