Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connector Connundrum...

To: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Connector Connundrum...
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 03:30:41 -0500
Richards wrote:
> Really ?!?!!!   Do you think it is a good idea to tin the braid before
> I put a connector over / on it?

Solder?

Put on good old crimp connectors.  They are sound, both mechanically and
electrically. I prefer to use those with the solder center pin.
Crimping tool is a little expensive if you are only going to do a couple
of connectors, but using the times crimp connectors makes it worth it.
If you are going to do a bunch of PL-259s a stripping tool and crimper
is well worth the investment.

As for the goo, Mineral Spirits gets it off hands and "I think" rubbing
alcohol will as well. I never worried about it except my wife gets a bit
upset if I forget and wipe my hands on a handkerchief instead of the
shop towels <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)