[TowerTalk] Push Up Mast Guying and loading

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Push Up Mast Guying and loading
From: "Dave Tipton" <dave@dmtgweb.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:34:40 -0600
Over the weekend, I took a post hole digger and dug down 2 1/2 feet,
put about 6 inches of gravel in it and dropped in a 2 foot long piece
of 3 inch schedule 40 and filled the hole around it with quickcrete.
I did this twice.   It took less than an hour for both.  (The ground
in Texas is nice and moist right now, making it an ideal time to dig.)

My plan is to drop push up masts into these holes.  Now to my
question...  My plan, is to suspend 2 multiband (Has individual wires
for each band) dipole between the two masts at about 40 and 10 feet.
There is no center support for the coax, so it will have to absorb
that weight too.  I have no worries about the one at 10 feet.  But the
one at the top of this thing concerns me.  It's not that it's a LOT of
weight, but masts by definition tend to use flimsy top sections, which
is why I'm only going to 40, and not the 50 feet that they are.  (I'm
going to remove, or "Bury" the very top section into the next section
for additional strength.

I can go about 10 feet out in 3 directions and no more.  I plan to run
a piece of angle iron 3 feet into the ground at a 45 to hold 2 sets of
guys.  Is 2 sets of guys going to be sufficient for this light duty
application?  I don't plan to put any more load on it, and nothing on
the top other than a pully to raise and lower the top antenna on one
side..

Dave, W5DMT