Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Arrest Harness arrest experience

To: <draxfelton@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fall Arrest Harness arrest experience
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:57:15 -0800

Testing of various subjects (some of whom lost consciousness) in a  Fall arrest
scenario
at Wright- Patterson AFB and a number of anecdotal real experiences of
Loss of consciousness when suspended in full body harnesses are described on
the web:
here is one such report:
http://www.cdc.gov/eLCOSH/docs/d0500/d000551/d000551.html

If your arrested/suspended fall situation causes you to be suspended away from
the tower or
other structure, and you cannot quickly reach solid support to unload your body
from the suspended condition, it is/or should be considered a Medical Emergency.
And not always easy to ameliorate, even if first responders get to you soon;
Unless
they are specially equipped to reach and rescue suspended victims.  Quite a few
stories
of folks who are unconscious in less than a minute or two after being suspended
off the
ground, even in training exercises.

I did a mental walk through of this possible scenario at Jamesburg Earth
Station,  and it was scary.  I then called
and did a walk through of the scenario with the Local Fire Department around
the corner.
It turns out that the  Fire station very close to Jamesburg happened to have
specially trained
and equipped  first responders to do a suspended rescue, though at best it is
going to be, I bet, at least 30
minutes before a dangling "victim" would be rescued, even if the emergency call
was done
immediately.  Jamesburg has lot of geometries that could easily leave a
fall-arrest victim 60 ft above ground
and 20 ft away from any horizontal structure.  See the dish website; Lots of
photos, below.

All the best,   Pat Barthelow   aa6eg@k6bj.org
Jamesburg Moon Bounce Team

http://www.jamesburgdish.org