Re: [TowerTalk] Phillistran

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillistran
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:42:00 -0500
K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/28/2008 9:02:21 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>

>>> I am thinking about replacing my guys with Phillistran, what  would be the
>>> min requirements for a 70 foot Rohn 25G tower? Would  the 2100lb be enough?
>>>

>>   The catalog shows 3/16" EHS (4000#) so I'd want to use  the  1/4"
>>
> Phillystran
>

>     The term 1/4" Phillystran is meaningless.  Philllystran model number

When I purchased my "1/4" Phillystran It was listed as 1/4" Phillystran
4000# test, catalog # HPTG4000. That may no longer be the case, but
that's what the shipping label says. 5/16" was catalog # HPTG6000. There
was a 3/16" 1200# test as well. I have a whole reel of it in the shop. I
don't like the 3/16 for anything serious even if well within the ratings
as it requires cable clamps and a thimble for the ends rather than the
grips.  I believe those cable clamps seriously degrade the strength just
a a  knot does a rope. That leaves me with what started out at 1200#
test that is *something* less. How much less depends on technique. OTOH
They are a whole lot easier to put on though and that size is very handy
for lots of uses.

73

Roger (K8RI)