Re: [TowerTalk] No end caps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] No end caps
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:15:47 -0600
I got several good suggestions, some bad ones, and some unknown ones.
Here is a summary: - My comments are in parenthesis.

Another note:  Birds like to sit on the end of my boom and peck at these
plugs, so they either need to be pushed back inside more, or be very
durable and glued in place.  I have different applications for these
plugs: aluminum booms, aluminum elements, SteppIR elements, and service
boxes on the ground.  Some of these suggestions should work for all of
these.

Good ones, I think - yet to be tested:

1.  Stainless steel pot scrubbers
2.  Stainless steel wool
3.  Wadded-up window screen material  (maybe with a little glue added in
spots to hold it together?)
4.  Bronze wool from marine supply
5.  Use end caps and drill a weep hole in the element  (OK for aluminum
but not for fiberglass)
6.  Galvanized hardware cloth (maybe OK if it has very small holes)
7.  Push the plastic pot scrubbers inside out of the UV - (maybe
applicable in some places)
8.  Cut hole in cap and epoxy aluminum or SS window screening over hole
inside cap

These may be questionable, but they could be investigated:

1. Nylon mesh from fabric store  (suspect UV may be an issue)
2. Springy plastic sanding pads which look like steel wool from the
paint department  (I'll try it on the ground first)
3. Modify end cap, drill holes for drainage  (probably can't make the
holes small enough to keep wasps out)
4. Scotch Brite Scour Pads (suspect UV may be an issue)

Here is the list of the bads ones (if you care).  Most of these do not
let the water out, but some may be OK for service boxes on the ground.

1.  Fill it with caulk
2.  Hard foam (styrofoam?)
3.  Expanding foam
4.  Silicone putty