Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Entry

To: <w4mja@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Entry
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 15:15:56 -0800

>Hello Everyone,
     As I finish up with the antenna projects, I now pose an old and probably
asked 1,000 times question. What is the best way to have coax enter the shack?<

::I prefer to have it knock and wipe its feet, then enter.  :-)

     >I'm looking for a good way to get one run of 3/8" hardline into the
shack, while still maintaining somewhat of an astetic appeal, and not doing too
much damage to the house.<

::I drill holes down very low, just above the baseboard molding of the shack
and behind equipment benches, desks or something so that the cable entering the
room cannot be seen at all.  Generally that means drilling only a few inches
above soil level outside, so the cable really cannot be seen where it enters
from outside, either (behind bushes, or behind the A/C unit, or something).  I
have eleven such entry holes for coax and rotator cables, and you really can't
see any of them.  Since my siding is stucco (cement) it takes a masonry bit to
drill through, but isn't difficult nor messy.  Been doing this for years at
many houses.  "Down low" cable entry is much nicer than "up higher" because
it's much easier to hide.  Also, patching the stucco or whatever when you go to
sell the house is easy when it's down low because people aren't on their hands
and knees looking for every imperfection.

-WB2WIK/6