Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Entry

To: "Tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Entry
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 00:02:56 -0000
Steve,

There are probably 1000 answers to the 1000 questions.

I built my own house. Before we had the slab poured, I installed a pair of
2in PVC pipes that come up into the wall that is behind my operating desk.
These pipes go underground to the tower. All my Coax and control lines are
now underground and come up through the slab in the house and up to a WX
proof box at the base of the tower. Nothing is visible inside or outside.
All of my cables are routed through the inside wall via a standard
electrical box which is easily covered should I ever move.

 I have an access panel that I can remove in the garage wall behind my radio
room. This provides access to the underground pipes and entry point into the
shack. . I also installed a good ground rod under the slab and it comes up
into the same wall a few inches from the cable pipes.

On the other end, I installed a good ground system before I poured the tower
base. I also have a 00 wire running a few feet from the tower to the water
well.  It has 6 in. Galvanized casing that goes down 200 ft. Sure makes a
good ground and with the cables underground, my noise level is very low.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *