Re: [TowerTalk] Spacing between Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Spacing between Antennas
From: John Elsik <wa5zup@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 08:50:33 -0700
I just can not help myself.
We do not even need to start the SteppIR debate.  It will take off in a
direction that will get away from the fundamental issue.
That is way way too much antenna for that tower!
At least 42 square feet and over 600 pounds!!  Not counting the rotor.
On a crankup no less!
You can not just add up the sq ft numbers when stacking antennas, it does not
work that way!
You (friend) need to do more research on tower loading.
Please stop and rethink the whole plan.
John wa5zup
> Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:29:50 -0500> To: navydude1962@yahoo.com;
> towertalk@contesting.com> From: n4zr@contesting.com> CC:
> marinesvcs@earthlink.net> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Spacing between Antennas>
> > At 07:12 PM 12/10/2008, Edward Sylvester wrote:> >Greetings to the Group!>
> > >tower. Here's the scenario:> >> >1 ea UST HDX689 89' tower> >1 ea 2 ele
> Optibeam 80 yagi (17 sq ft)> >1 ea MonstIR 6-40m yagi (25 sq ft)> >1 ea 24'
> three inch chromally mast> >> >The plan is to mount the 80m antenna towards
> the top of the mast and the > >Steppir underneath. Obviously the more space
> between the two, the > >better. Will 15' of separation between the two
> suffice, especially since > >the Steppir can retract all of its elements?> >>
> >Also, is the system beefy enough? Your opinions are welcome.....> > > My
> impression is that the tower isn't tall enough for that 80M antenna, > unless
> your friend has a hilltop QT
 H, which could raise other issues, like > wind gusts and icing. I have also
heard horror stories from one local ham > whose MonstIR has had repeated
structural and electrical problems. I > wonder if others have had similar
issues - he could practically buy a crane > with the rentals he's paid.> > 73,