Re: [TowerTalk] vertical antenna ground loss

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] vertical antenna ground loss
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:50:37 +0000
Dennis,

EZNEC modelling certainly doesn't confirm what you are saying.

I just modelled a 40m horizontal half-wave 33ft above average ground -
the optimum take-off angle was 66 degrees. Then I modelled a
quarter-wave vertical over 16 quarter-wave ground mounted radials - the
optimum take-off angle was 26 degrees. But, plot these on a common scale
and you'll see there's hardly any difference at low take-off angles:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/vert_vs_dipole.png

 From 20 degrees upwards the dipole beats the vertical, which would
confirm your "short skip" comment; but what in these figures suggests
the vertical will be so much superior for DX ?

Steve G3TXQ