Re: [TowerTalk] Tram Coax

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tram Coax
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 23:26:59 -0500

Richards wrote:
> Hi Roger -- What is a good stripper?  I have been considering the one
> sold by DX Engineering...

I have several, but for RG-8/LMR400/BuryFlex size cables, the best two I
have came from Davis RF of Davis BuryFlex.  I'm going to have to look up
the make and model  as there is a two blade (PL-259) and three blade (N
connector). It was the best price and works the best of any I've had so
far.  I use the Times Wire which is a Cablematic ST-600-EZ for the
LMR-600 which is a bit pricey even with the Davis price and they had the
best prices I came up with.  The ST-600-EZ looks like what DX
Engineering sells but considerably larger than the one for the LMR-400.

The two for the LMR-400/BuryFlex size have an insert in which the cable
sets and is fully supported for half its circumference, unlike my other,
solid Aluminum stripper which has the cable lay in a "V" notch.  We put
20 PL-259s on a few weeks ago with nary a problem.  I've not noticed any
tendency for the blades/stripper to want to screw its way up the cable
when the blades begin to wear as opposed to the older Aluminum unit.

I don't remember the name and model of the LMR-400 size strippers and I
can't find the packages they came in.  I do have some e-mails on another
system that I can look up which should have the model numbers...IF I can
find them.  Just call Davis and tell them what you want and get a price
to compare with the other sources.

Well, time to dig out the snow shovel AGAIN!
Here we go again.  It started to snow around 11:00 although the storm
warning doesn't start until 1:00 and goes until 7:00 PM Sunday.  It
looks like maybe another  4" total which is sort of a reprieve from the
possible 8" they were forecasting. OTOH this is coming with winds up to
40 MPH and on top of the nearly foot of fresh snow from yesterday on top
of  maybe a 6" base.  Guess I'll skip the tower work for tomorrow with
the wind chills of -5 to -15.

73

Roger (K8RI)