Re: [TowerTalk] Palmdale CA: The rest of the story

To: towertalk@n4zkf.com, K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net, HansLG@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Palmdale CA: The rest of the story
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:32:27 -0800 (PST)
Also, don't forget when the last Space Shuttle disintrgrated while deorbiting
to land at Cape Kennedy,  because of foam insulation on the fuel tank coming
off and knocking off several of the heat resistant tiles on launching.  State
Police, the feds, and local sheriff's deputies in East Texas and Western
Louisiana "tried" to organize search parties using only high dollar law
enforcement portable radios, which didn't work in the wilderness and swamps of
East Texas and western Louisiana.  They ended up putting a ham with a handie
talkie with most of the search parties.  The ham handie talkies worked a whole
lot better than the $1,000-$2,000 law enforcement handie talkies and cell
phones in the area where most of the shuttle debris was found.

Tom, WW5L