Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain AV-640

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain AV-640
From: Bob Nielsen <n7xy@clearwire.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 07:31:56 -0800
I have had a AV-640 up for the past 7 years and agree with everything
Art says.  That antenna is very similar (except for not having traps)
to the R8 which displayed very good results in the K7LXC/N0AX report
on verticals.

It often takes a bit of patience in the pileups (most of my operation
has been at the 100 watt level), but I was rarely disappointed during
the times when propagation was a bit better than currently.  Mine is
mounted about 13 feet above ground on a piece of pipe which is
strapped to the eaves of my house.  I haven't tried it on 6 meters,
but have had good results on all of the other bands and have even
made some 1500+ mile contacts on 80 and 160 (don't try this at high
power levels).

Bob, N7XY