Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain AV-640

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy-Gain AV-640
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:43:30 -0500

Bill Jackson wrote:
> Hello Towertalkians,
>
> I am mentoring a new ham who has limited options for putting up an HF antenna.
> He has 30 ft. of Rohn 25 tower placed directly next to his house (an old TV
> tower), but it is located on a very small lot and he has XYL restrictions
> which
> prohibit any wire antennas or radials off of the tower.

I've used an AV640 for a couple of years now and although I've had some
problems with it (due to bugs) l like it better than any other multiband
or trap vertical.  There are a lot of parts and assembly takes some care
as well are really reading the manual.  Get a couple of saw horses on
which to to the assembly.  Mine happen to have a notch that conveniently
holds the antenna.  You may wish to adjust the feed line length to get
the best SWR at the rig, but it will likely be very close to 1:1 on all
bands.  I did not bother running the coax down the inside of the tower.
A current choke at the base of the matching unit as already suggested
would probably be a good idea.

For me it appears to work about as well as any wire antenna I've used,
but on these bands I'd normally use a Yagi, or multi band beam of some
sort.  I've worked all coasts on 6-meters where it works very well.

A beam or tribander it's not, but  I think it works quite well.
Watch the power you run.  It's rated for PEP and only 200 watts on 6
although I think the newer ones are rated for 300 on 6.

As for guying I'll just include the link:
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AV-640/AV640.htm

73

Roger (K8RI)