Re: [TowerTalk] What info did you receive with your new tower?

To: Alan NV8A <nv8a@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What info did you receive with your new tower?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 11:19:04 -0700
Alan NV8A wrote:

> Within a few days of placing my order with HRO for a US Tower HDX-555 I
> received direct from US Tower a packet containing specs. (calcs.),
> foundation drawings, a schematic for the control system for the electric
> extend/retract mechanism, and drawings and instructions for the gearbox
> and the top bearing. I understand that some customers received somewhat
> skimpier information.
>
> Note that the calcs. I received were according to an older version of
> the UBC, which might not satisfy all inspectors. But my municipality
> isn't concerned about amateur radio towers/antennas up to 70ft. high: no
> drawings, no calcs., no inspections, no permits.
>
> 73
>
> Alan NV8A

US Tower shows the wrong anchor bolt size for the HDX5106.  I wasted
$500 buying the wrong bolts; fortunately I discovered this before
pouring the cement.  (I imagine UST would say that I should have
purchased the bolts from them.  There is also the previously discussed
issue of J-bolts vs the bolts-with-washers as supplied by UST).  Also,
the calcs have numerous obvious errors in them.  I got schematics of
the winch box from other hams after UST refused to supply them.  YMMV.

Rick N6RK