Re: [TowerTalk] 160m project

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m project
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:46:46 -0600
Lee

Here are a few items to consider about your planned 160 antenna.

Warning: This post is long and has a lot of detail which may bore some
of the readers, but I'm sure Lee will be interested.

Lee said: ..."A mil-spec balun from Antenna Products rated at 2-30M 4Kw PEP
http://www.antennaproducts.com/BINDEX.htm<about:blank> SM-153."...........

Where did you find the data on this balun?  All I could find was on
their website and it said 1 KW av / 2KW PEP.  There was no other info,
no mention of what type balun it is.  You said it was MIL Spec.  I don't
see that on the website or any MIL Spec numbers.  Google didn't turn up
anything either.  The website says it has an LC input connector.  What
is that?  I wouldn't buy a pig in a poke (unless I knew it was really a
pig).  Have you checked out the DX Engineering baluns?

Lee said: ....9931 coax.........

I am not familiar with 9931 coax.  Did you mean to say 9913?  If so, it
would not be my choice for 160 meters.  It's low loss but if you let
water get into it, it's trash.  Most coax has little loss on 160.  I
would recommend inexpensive RG213 for this.  However 9913 will be fine
if you seal the connectors really well and keep the water out of it.

Lee said:  ... 50 feet of 9931 coax with a 6" PVC air choke made from 25
feet of 9931 wrapped....

This should provide an impedance of about 365 ohms at 2 MHz if the balun
is wound on a single layer.  That's not enough, assuming the balun you
picked is really a voltage mode balun.  Before recommending a fix, lets
examine what you have so far.

With a 260 ft dipole, 85 ft in the air and 65 ft of 600 ohm line, the
impedance presented to the balun is about:
at 1.8 MHz 126+j605
at 1.9 MHz 277 +j960.

If the balun is perfect (and it won't be) the impedance presented to the
9913 will be about:
at 1.8 MHz 10.4 +j50, SWR 9.7
at 1.9 MHz 22 +j78,  SWR 8.2

After 75 ft of 9913 (25 ft of which is the balun) the impedance
presented to the rig is:
at 1.8 MHz 270 -j230, SWR 9.4
at 1.9 MHz 43 -j116, SWR 8.1

EZNEC says the coax loss is 0.17 dB or about 60 watts at legal limit,
not bad.  However you will need a good tuner with this because the SWR
will be very high.

You didn't say if you were planning to use this on more than 160
meters.  The only problem with this antenna on the higher bands is that
the lobes become very narrow, and on some bands the azimuth coverage is
not very good, however if a station happens to be in one of the lobes,
the gain is good.  The SWR at the station end is not too bad either.
160 is the worst band for SWR.  Coax loss is also low on all bands.  Be
sure and have good insulation at the dipole feedpoint because the
voltage at this point gets pretty high on some bands.

The numbers above could be somewhat in error because if the balun is a
voltage mode balun, an insufficient choke will cause some common mode
current on the feedline and change the SWR some.  Also the 12 to 1 balun
has to operate with a relatively high reactance and it is unlikely that
it will really look like a 12 to 1 in that situation.

Now to address the choke problem: The 16 turn choke should have about
365 ohms at 2 MHz and be self resonant somewhere around 8 MHz assuming
it is wound in one layer.  Lowering that resonant frequency will make
the impedance on 160 go up, but it will make it go down on the higher
bands.  So if you only want to use this antenna on 160 meters you could
double the number of turns and get about 1000 ohms at 2 MHz and a self
resonant frequency of about 5 MHz.  However if you are going to use this
antenna on multiple bands, I would recommend a choke made from a ferrite
toroid.  That will have a much greater bandwidth.

A better solution is to buy a balun that is a current mode balun.  With
that you may not need an additional choke.  All the DX Engineering
baluns are current mode unless specified otherwise.  Note: There isn't
much SWR difference between using a 9 to 1 balun and a 12 to 1, a little
lower on some bands, a little higher on others.

I hope this helps.

Jerry, K4SAV