Re: [TowerTalk] 160m project

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 160m project
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:38:57 -0500
KE4VYN:
 >I am in the design stage of a dipole antenna for 160m and
would like some professional input in case I missed something.

         The best advice I can give you is to scrap the
idea of a dipole for 160 and consider an inverted-L, even
if you can only get the vertical part up 50 feet.  At any
practical height (i.e. <1/2 wavelength or 270'), a dipole
will mainly be a cloud warmer useful for local QSOs (300
miles or less).  An inverted-L is a good DX antenna however
it also requires a good ground system (at least 20 each 50'
radials) which might be a lot to ask even of a good friend.

                                         73,  Bill W4ZV