Re: [TowerTalk] BCB Intermodulation - resolution

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] BCB Intermodulation - resolution
From: "Ed Richardson" <ed_richardson@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:27:11 -0600
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I can happily report the problem
has been resolved, for now at least. It turns out the source of the
intermodulation products was indeed the local broadcast station. A call
to the station engineer resulted in a brush off and no response. A
second call to the local Industry Canada office (FCC equivalent in
Canada) proved somewhat helpful. Their initial response was it was my
equipment's problem but after explaining my testing procedure to them,
they offered to investigate.

They contacted the station and surprise, surprise, two days later and
the situation is much improved. I can still detect some of the intermod
signals but they are barely detectable.

As luck would have it, a second broadcaster is having the exact same
problem but at least their products are outside the 80m band. These
should be corrected shortly.

So I am feeling pretty good right now. Had a local apartment replace a
failing sodium vapour light in their parking lot that was causing much
noise and now the AM intermod is gone. Now if I can just get the
neighbors to unplug their noisy computers, crt monitors, and routers,
80m might be almost useful.

Thanks again for the help!

Ed
VE4EAR