Re: [TowerTalk] Best coax strippers?

To: yeilg@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best coax strippers?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 09:28:44 -0800
yeilg@aol.com wrote:
> Hi,? I am looking for the best, preferably one step, strippers ....
> one tool that will do small coax (RG-58 etc)???AND ?large (Bury-Flex,
> LMR-400, etc.)?AND for both UHF and N connectors. ? I have heard that
> there is one out there that does all of these vs. having to have 2 or
> more tools.? Any help appreciated.???Thanks !,?George,?soon to become
> a K7?? _______________________________________________

There isn't a single tool, exactly.  You can get a nice stripper with
switchable "cassettes" that are configured for each kind of coax. The
cassette holds the blades in the right configuration for that coax. A
single cassette has two sets of blades (you flip it over in the housing
to do the "other" coax), but if you need 3 or 4 different coaxes, then,
you need multiple cassettes.

I have both the one above, and a variety of "single size" ones. I use
the single size ones more commonly, and have the universal one for when
I run across something different.

The single size ones cost around $20 in the mid 90s. The multiple one
was about $40, with one cassette. Replacement cassettes were $15.

http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_category.php?id=359
http://www.paladin-tools.com/view_category.php?id=220

A bit of googling turns up that the nice ones run about $70 now, and the
LC CST (LC=low cost) are around $15

http://www.itcelectronics.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=35&products_id=9974

I think for run of the mill ham use the LC series would do you.  They
have one for 1/4" cables (58/59/6) and another for half inch (8/213).
If you're installing hundreds of connectors a day (like I was) then the
more expensive ones are nicer (A subjective assessment.. I think the CST
are wider than the LC CST, and a bit smoother operating. the basic
mechanism is identical.)