Re: [TowerTalk] lightning protection

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lightning protection
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 17:51:02 -0500

jimlux wrote:
> Robert wrote:
>
>> Specifically, what type "Grounding Switch at house" are suggesting?
>>
>> Bob W7KD
>>

> I was thinking of either a manual switch that grounds the antenna port
> (so you don't have to be mating/demating the cable) or a suitably

Like you Jim, I use the Diawa. They have the two port (3 connectors) and
I believe a 4 port (5 connectors) with an off position grounded.  I have
two of the two port versions in the shop and one in the house.

I've used the Ameritron RCS-8 remote switches for years and although I
had to rebuild one of the two in use due to corrosion I've found them
reliable.  Changing them to ground unselected/off positions is very easy
with just the addition of a half inch  long wire, or solder bridge
between foils. When you turn the power off, all positions are grounded.
I did move them down the tower a ways to make them far easier to get
at.  Right now I have one temporarily mounted just about the NEMA 1 box
near the base of the tower. Shortly there be two back up with one for 75
and one for 40. The leads feedlines to them come from the 6-pack in the
junction box.
> configured antenna relay box. (e.g. the RCS-8V is pretty easy to set up
> so that it grounds an antenna port that's not in use).
>
> Clearly, we're not looking for the switch to carry kiloamps.. more just
> to keep the transient away.

73

Roger (K8RI)