Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Suggestions Wanted

To: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>, TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Suggestions Wanted
From: Stein Roar Brobakken LA6FJA-K3RAG <s-roabr@online.no>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:02:00 +0100 (MET)
Hi

why not try a extended Double Zepp Antenna ?

I used one for many years with 450 ohm ladder, mine was 2 x 65 ' and I wound a
coil on each end on 3" PVC. this coil was wide space with 6mm2 electrical wire
or 3mm wire for wounding coils. I think I had something like total length of
135' .on one version, but I also tried one with wires hanging down after the
coils one both ends.

A friend of mine used one fullsized 453' Zepp once :) it had good gain too in
length of the wires in 40/30 and 20m.

To avoid tuner I used a T400-2 amidon as 9:1 to get a nice match on most bands,
but I had to tune in lower upper part of 80m/75m.

It had awesome gain and I remember it was a killer even with low power.

I recommend a Viking tuner or maybe a good 3KW tuner to handle the power.
The orginal MFJ tuner worked for a while,but I changed the rolling coil with
one QRO from RF Parts.

73s Rag LA6FJA