Re: [TowerTalk] Insulated Rohn 25

To: Terry Price <w8zn@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insulated Rohn 25
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:23:18 -0700
Terry Price wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I am planning a 4 square for 80m using Rohn 25 tower since I have lots of
> it. Besides the commercailly available insulators for $400 per set, anyone
> have any suggestions on insulating the tower at the base? I thought about a
> sandwich using the standard flat base plate with a 1" thinck piece of Delrin
> sitting on top another flat steel plate in the concrete. I would use a
> single stud with a BIG Delrin shoulder washer around it to keep the base
> from moving laterally. Since I have access to a small crane to lift the
> tower in one piece with the insulated guys already attached, I won't have to
> worry about climbing until the base is secure and the guys are on.

Fiberglass structural tubing. McMaster Carr sells it in UPSable lengths
if it's not available conveniently in your location.

Cut three pieces 6" or a foot long, bolt it up, and you're done.

A standard carbide blade for wood will cut the stuff, but the blade will
dull pretty fast (glass is really hard, so it wears the cutting edges),
so get a cheap one and just throw it away. Good ventilation is
important, or you're going to itch for days from the fiberglass dust.

Angle might also work (it's easier to drill, because it has a flat
face), as would rod.

Runs about $1-$2/ft in the sizes you'll need.