Re: [TowerTalk] Radials tied to ground: good or bad?

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials tied to ground: good or bad?
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:38:50 -0700
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 8:31 AM

> No. A radial system prevents current flow in the earth by
> providing a much lower impedance path for that current.

I suspect that the radial system doesn't "prevent" current flow but instead
shunts a large portion of it.

I think further discussion would be helpful here.
I suspect that in all cases except an infinitely large metal ground screen,
that some current
will flow in the earth back to the "hot lead".  The radials provide a shunt
with its
lower resistance path.

It seems to me that if the radials are covered with earth, that current will
flow from
the many earth contacts to the radials and then on to the source. Thus there
are many
short earth currents which then flow in the radial shunt to the source/.

What happens if the radials in the earth  are insulated?  Is there
capacitive coupling and how does
it compare to the direct contact?  What if the insulated radials are laying
on the ground?

k7puc