Re: [TowerTalk] Radials tied to ground: good or bad?

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials tied to ground: good or bad?
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:39:20 -0700
I don't have any personal data to validate this, but W8JI, N6BT and
others have claimed that verticals with modest numbers of low elevated
radials have increased losses when there is also a path to earth (e.g. a
ground rod) from the common junction of the radials.  That's one reason
that a common mode choke is often recommended between the antenna &
elevated radials and the feedline, which then allows the feedline shield
to be connected to earth.

This does seem to be less than optimum situation for lightning, however.

Apparently, there is less potential loss with increasing numbers of
radials, which lowers the RF voltage at the radial junction and the
percentage of the displacement current flowing in the dirt.

73, Terry N6RY