Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Bandwidth of a 1/4wl 80m vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Bandwidth of a 1/4wl 80m vertical
From: "Terry Price" <w8zn@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 06:58:09 -0400

Thanks to all that responded. I've decided to use an old Rohn 25 base that
already has 60 radials down as an experiment. I'm going to erect an
insulated 45 foot #25 tower with a standard top that accepts a 2" mast.
There is a place close to me that sells irrigation tubing in 2" X 30 foot
lengths. I am going to attempt to use a standard actuator off an old TVRO
dish to raise and lower the 2" pipe in and out of the top of the tower by 4
feet, the limit of the actuator, to change the match between the low end and
3800 which is about as high as I ever go, if I get more that's fine.

Decoupling of the motor control leads and insuring the tubing will move up
and down through the tower without binding will be the two biggest
challenges. If it works, one leg of the 4 square will be done!

Terry