Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical in pond

To: ve3zi@rac.ca, towertalk@contesting.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical in pond
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:52:24 -0700 (PDT)
I really don't know the reason - my experience is purely anecdotal. I do not
however think it is much to do with the conductivity or otherwise of the water.
The water is pretty pure (drinkable without processing although we do process
it :-), and from December until April it is frozen to a depth of well over a
metre - and I understand that ice is quite a good insulator. The lake is about
25m deep if that makes any difference. What may be important is that I have a
clear northerly takeoff over the lake from west through to east which is rather
fortunate.

I have found antenna placement to be quite anomalous in other ways. I had a 40m
vertical and a separate 30m vertical about 20m apart a few years ago (away from
the lake). The 30m one was excellent and the 40m was useless, even though they
were identical except for the radiator length. I adjusted the lengths and
changed their use over - the 40m was still useless and the 30m excellent. Still
haven't worked that out and still haven't got a good 40m antenna....

73 Roger
VE3ZI