Re: [TowerTalk] vertical in pond

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] vertical in pond
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:42:35 -0400
The issue of a freshwater pond being a better location than rocky
soil has been
discussed at length.    While the pond itself might not be highly
conductive, the
mud around it is a lot better than dry dirt or rock.   And, a
freshwater swamp is
likely even better...because you can actually work radials into it.

-0-
Gary, K4FMX observed:
Just because they are a "broadcast station" doesn't necessarily mean
they
knew what they were doing when they built it.
I know of a station that is built on top of a large rocky hill. It has
terrible coverage. There were plenty of flat areas to build it but
somebody
thought the hill would help?
-0-

To which I will append, the AM rules require that a station be able
to put 190mV signal
at the post office of the city of license. (or they used to.  I
haven't looked in 30 years!)
Often, THAT, coupled with available commercial land, determines the
site selection.

N2EA