[TowerTalk] Splicing 3" Boom material

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Splicing 3" Boom material
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 06:47:31 EDT

The technique of ripping a full length slot in a "coupler" piece 18" to 36"
in length is a well established method I used in joining 12 and 15 ft lengths
of  3" material.  The assembly technique was to slot the coupler creating  a
3/8" wide slot.  Using large hose clamps this piece was compressed  and
inserted half way into one side. Release the clamp and drill through the  boom
into
the coupler along the line of the slot, and secure with #12 stainless  sheet
metal screws (for the moment only along one edge). Tightening the  clamp again
the other end can be inserted (liberally coated with  WD-40)positioned, remove
the clamp, tap the boom together and proceed to drill  holes on the second
side. On a 36" splice (30 ft boom) at least 4 screws on  either side of the
slot,
and on each side of the boom should be  sufficient.

If the "coupler" material is the same as the boom material (diameter  and
wall thickness) one must be careful in compressing the cylinder as it may  not
uniformly shrink in diameter.  I used 3" x 0.087 wall boom material,  and
2.875"
x 0.087 coupler material.  I believe coupler material of this  size is
available from Cubex / Tennadyne.

Message:  2