Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Accuracy / Usefulness

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Accuracy / Usefulness
From: "W3YY" <w3yy@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:44:42 -0000
Scott -

Yes, I think you can go too high.

Why do I say this?  First, I believe in the basic method used in the HFTA
program, having produced a similar computer program for my personal use in
about 1980.  See http://www.w3yy.com/reflection_point_migration.htm,
http://www.w3yy.com/the_math.htm, and http://www.w3yy.com/grand_canyon.htm.

Secondly, my personal experience seems to back up the program's predictions.
For example, my 4-El SteppIR at 100ft is much too high for EU over my
sloping terrain in that direction.  Sure enough, I get nice results, but not
great, in that direction.  (If so, why did I do that? - simply to clear the
trees!).  Guys with similar antennas at lower heights over flat terrain do
much better.

Another example was when I purposely lowered a 30-meter antenna to increase
its radiation at a desired vertical angle.  I swear it worked better
afterwords, although that might just be because I want to believe it, HI.

I'm about to put up some 20-10 meter yagis at a relatively very low height
that is predicted to be a killer into EU.  We'll see what happens!

73, Bob - W3YY