Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Accuracy / Usefulness

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Accuracy / Usefulness
From: Scott McClements <kc2pih@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:29:29 -0400
Hi All,

Yeah so largely anecdotal / empirical evidence seems to say HFTA
generally seems to coincide with the results observed in the real
world.  I was more curious about the technical reasons why HFTA might
produce erroneous results.

Specifically, would a 3D trace over a wider angle produce better
results? Why is it just 2D?   Do the topo maps have enough resolution
and accuracy? What about differences in ground conductivty over the
path? If there are so many uncontrolled variables, I would think the
results could be completely misleading and how much so is impossible
to determine.

-Scott, WU2X