Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Mast - guidelines for ratio in tower / outoftowe

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Mast - guidelines for ratio in tower / outoftower
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:44:17 -0400
I also use two thrust bearings above the rotator. I have a 20 foot mast with
3 antennas above the tower and it worried me that while working on it it
might get away from me. The two bearings are a relatively cheap solution.

I made a jig (of sorts) that consists of a hand winch that hangs outside of
the tower that also has a fixed pulley right next to the mast and can raise
or lower the mast and antennas relatively easy. Of course, one has to be
careful not to put too much stress on the tower itself with the jig. Wire
rope from the winch goes over the fixed pulley and is attached to the mast
so that it pulls almost perfectly vertically. Trying to lift a couple of
hundred pounds at 100 feet by hand is not my idea of a good time (even if it
were possible).

73, Larry  W6NWS