Re: [TowerTalk] 6061 vs 6063

To: TexasRF@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6061 vs 6063
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 18:48:39 -0400

TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> Most antenna manufacturers are using 6063-T832 alloy tubing. The T832
> is very important and I have seen no one refer to this in these tubing
> discussions.
>
> The yield strength of 6061-T6 and 6063-T832 is the same; typically
> 38,000 to 40,000 psi. I have tested both types of tubing by hanging
> weights on the end of six ft pieces until a permanent change in
> straightness occurred. Both types showed a slight bend with the same
> weight on them.
>
> Plain 6063, like you would find in a hardware store has a typical
> yield strength of about 27,000 psi, demonstrating the importance of
> the T (for temper) numbers.
>
> 6061-T6 is manufactured with an oil quenching process (what ever that is)
I'd like to enlarge on that a bit if I may and I'm no expert.

Quenching is the rapid, but controlled cooling of a material in some
medium.  That medium may vary from water to oil, to even liquid
Nitrogen.  The cooling medium used controls the rate at which the metal
is cooled and thus the hardness. The faster it's cooled the harder the
result.  The effects also vary.  In the case of quenching a piece of
steel, which which I'm quite familiar, water will result in a very hard
and *brittle* piece. Quenching the same piece in oil will slow the
cooling process substantially.  It will also add carbon into the surface
*layer*, not just on the surface.  In this case you end up with a very
hard surface with an underlying support layer that is very tough. Under
that, depending on the size of the piece will be a core of the native
material. That surface layer has the carbon diffused down into it which
also adds to the hardness and durability essentially turning that layer
into a hardened high carbon steel.

The Quenching of Aluminum is similar, but I have no experience with it
so lack the details .
> and usually has a dull to ugly dark finish. 6063-T832 is manufactured
> with a completely different process that reduces manufacturing costs
> and leaves the material with a shiny bright finish.
>
> As far as bending and welding characteristics, I have not studied that
> and leave it to others to complete the story.

As a rough comparison, the springy  Aluminum alloys are much like a
steel spring. They can be bent, but exceeding the minimum bend radius
(which can be quite large) will end up fracturing the material just like
bending a flat  coiled spring too far will cause it to break or shatter
at the bend.

With the advent of TIG welding, the ability to weld Aluminum has become
far easier. Oxyacetylene welding of Aluminum can be done, but takes
practice (One that I never managed to master). Even then it's easy to
get a "granular" weld which is not all that uncommon on Aluminum tower
cross braces.  The reason "Torch welding" is so difficult with Aluminum
is the ability of Aluminum to transfer heat.   TIG welding creates a lot
of heat concentrated in a small area from an electric arc.  The welding
rod is fed into this arc with the two making the weld relatively easy to
control.

The differences I've seen are with welding steel the weld is usually the
strongest point where in Aluminum it is the softest and usually the
weakest point. Although due more to technique, or the lack there of,
you'll see Aluminum welds break at the edge which is "usually" due to
lack of penetration and is much like a cold solder joint.

That's welding and quenching Aluminum...more or less.