Re: [TowerTalk] 6061 vs 6063

To: K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6061 vs 6063
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:55:45 EDT
Most antenna manufacturers are using 6063-T832 alloy tubing. The T832 is
very important and I have seen no one refer to this in these tubing
discussions.

The yield strength of 6061-T6 and 6063-T832 is the same; typically 38,000  to
40,000 psi. I have tested both types of tubing by hanging weights on the end
of six ft pieces until a permanent change in straightness occurred. Both
types  showed a slight bend with the same weight on them.

Plain 6063, like you would find in a hardware store has a typical yield
strength of about 27,000 psi, demonstrating the importance of the T (for
temper)
numbers.

6061-T6 is manufactured with an oil quenching process (what ever that is)
and usually has a dull to ugly dark finish. 6063-T832 is manufactured with a
completely different process that reduces manufacturing costs and leaves the
material with a shiny bright finish.

As far as bending and welding characteristics, I have not studied that and
leave it to others to complete the story.

73,
Gerald Williamson, K5GW, General Manager
Texas Towers (we do have 6063-T832 tubing)

In a message dated 3/24/2009 4:03:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net writes:

jim Jarvis wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I haven't  looked in a materials handbook to see the spec, so I'm only
> repeating  what Bethlehem Aluminum and Wikipedia said.   But I think  you
> misread my comment.
>
> 6061 will spring.... it can be  bent and NOT take a set.    Up to the
> point of  breaking.

6061 is much harder than 6063. It's what we  use for aircraft skin,
cowls, wheel pants... etc.  so 6061 can be  bent, it can be shaped into
rather complex shapes using an English Wheel,  as well as panishing to
stretch or shrink the material. OTOH not all 6061  is created equal. It
comes in a wide variety of hardness.  I think  that may be where at least
some of the confusion over 6061 comes from. As  was mentioned earlier in
this thread, 6061-T6 can be bent and formed into  complex shapes.

There are several sites on the web devoted to metal  working.
http://www.metalmeet.com/ and http://www.metalshapers.org/   are two I
know of.
> 6063, on the other hand, can be bent into a  curved shape and stay there.

6061 can be bent,  be it tube or sheet, but it takes more care (and work)
to do so than with  6063.
> If you use a bending brake to bend 6061, it's likely to fracture  or
> surface distort,

6061 can be bent to  90 degrees using a brake, BUT there are
limitations.The radius of the bend  needs to be at least 1.5 times the
thickness and it depends on the  hardness of the particular sheet.
> rk it as well as you can  6063.
>
> One argument in favor of 6063 may be that being less  brittle, it may
> withstand
> vibration better, over  time.

I think you will find the softer alloys will  work harden quicker than
those that are springy.

73

Roger  (K8RI)
> Perhaps I'm wrong.   Check with the Alcoa Aluminum  spec sheets, which
> can be
> linked to from  Wikipedia.
>
> Jim
>

> On Mar  24, 2009, at 1:37 PM, Dave Johnson wrote:
>

>> Sorry Jim but who ever told you this is full of it.  6061-T6  is a
>> alloy that is designed to be bent a long way and not  take a set.
>> It will not crack or orange  peel.
>>
>> Dave -  K4SSU
>>

>> ----- Original Message  ----- From: "jim Jarvis"
>>  <jimjarvis@optonline.net>