Re: [TowerTalk] Inverter noise (was OT: Wind Turbines and Towers - Resul

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverter noise (was OT: Wind Turbines and Towers - Results)
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:49:14 -0700
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:15:27 -0500, Jim Chaggaris wrote:

>Any thoughts on what is the best method to eliminate the nasty 80/40M hash
>generated from one set of 12V cabinet lights?

Yes, it is awful, isn't it!  BTW -- they are NOT transformers, they are
switching power supplies.

>My wife makes it habit to turn them on whenever I'm operating on 80M or
>40M (coincidence?).

Yes, my XYL turns on our noise generators to brush her teeth just about the
time I'm chasing early morning DX on 160M. Even though they're choked a
bit, they still get into the EU/VK Beverage that runs about 20 ft from
them.

Delta and Corcom both make small line filters that should work quite well
on the 120V side of these noise generators. Search their catalogs for 1A or
3A units small enough to fit right next to that noise generator. Be sure to
keep leads VERY short and bond the body of the filter to the body of the
noise generator. The Corcom 1VB1 is quite small, but provides good common
mode filtering on the HF bands. Its differential filtering is not
specified.

See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/PowerFilters.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC